I have many desires for my life. I have dreams of being that high achieving, independent women – The entrepreneur who relies solely on herself…but then there’s the other side which says “I just want to be a trophy wife. Stay at home, cook, clean, go for lunches with my girlfriends, spend money that isn’t mine on dressing up and looking good and never work again”. Last weekend for me was my “trophy wife in training” weekend for the sake of “just in case life works out that way”. I did washing like there was no tomorrow, cleaned my house like it’s never been cleaned before, went to the markets and stocked the fridge full of local fruit and veg and then it was time to hit the kitchen. Carrot cake it was! And here’s what I came up with…
- 1 1/2 cups almond meal
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts (or pecans)
- 1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- pinch sea salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon grated nutmeg
- ½ tsp cardamom
- 1/3 cup raisins
- 4 tablespoons pure maple syrup
- 2 eggs
- 3 tablespoons sunflower oil
- 2-3 grated carrots
- 1/2 cup of raw cashews
- ½ cup coconut cream
- Zest and juice of 1 lemon
- ½ packet stevia power (to taste)
- Combine Almond meal, walnuts, baking powder,salt and spices in a bowl or low speed food processor.
- In a separate bowl wisk together maple syrup, eggs and oil.
- Fold wet ingredients into dry ingredient until just combined.
- Gently mix in the grated carrot and raisins.
- Place into a greased loaf tin or small cake tin and bake for approx 40 mins.
Place cashews, coconut cream, lemons juice and zest and stevia into a high powered blender. Blend on high until smooth and free from any lumps. Place in the fridge for 20 mins. This will help the icing thicken.
Once cake has cooled completely, ice and top with hazlenuts, walnuts, pecans or coconut.
Like me on Facebook
Visit my website Wholesome-Living
INSTAGRAM – ashleighjensen